Re: [SLUG] md5sum

From: greg (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 00:49:32 EST

Richard Smoot wrote:
> How do I use md5sum to check a download?
> I just dl'd the ISO image of the ftp install of SUSE 9.2 Pro.
> I also got the md5sum for it.
>
> Richard Smoot

Like this:

greg@greta:~$
greg@greta:~$ md5sum -c index.html.md5
index.html: OK
greg@greta:~$

That is, the command "md5sum", with the -c "check" option, and the name
of the checksum file. The checksum file you'll need to use will
probably be named something like "SUSE_9.2_<blah_blah_blah>.iso.md5, and
not index.html.md5 like I used.

The command "man md5sum" might help if that doesn't. It will lead you
to "info md5sum".

This all assumes you're already running *nix, or at least have cygwin
installed on Windows. If you're trying to do this on Windows it can
(and should) still be done, but will require a Windows md5sum checker,
which afaik, doesn't just come with.

Good luck,

Greg