Re: [SLUG] Explain this please

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 03:15:16 EST

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 15:49, Daniel Jarboe wrote:
> Those are two entirely different things.
>
> > JBD: barrier-based sync failed on hdb1 - disabling barriers
>
> You are running a 2.6 kernel.

Correct, SuSE 9.2 with an AMD Athlon _64

> Is this something new?

Don't know for sure. Paid attention to the boot log because of having
extreme time differences after boot up and not being able to correct
them.

> Or did you
> recently change the filesystem type on hdb1?

No, no change. As installed about a month ago on a brand new system &
upgraded the distro to SuSE 9.2 at the same time. For your info;
there are 4 other partitions on hdb. All are ext3. Would I get similar
messages for hdb3, hdb5, etc. ??

> This jbd message can be
> considered a warning. Does an lsmod show jbd?

lsmod shows jbd running.

> If not, modprobing
> jbd and adding it to your initrd will probably fix it for you. If
> you have questions about how to do this, I can walk you through it.
>
> If you are interested in what this is all about..<snip the rest>....

Yes, very much so. You have added to my knowledge base considerably.

For your further info. Reviewed the boot message for tonight. The
following are single lines from the message which I selected as
suspicious and need to be investigated. As stated earlier this all
started because of wild time problem. (have contacted the seller and
they have offered to replace the motherboard ) I doubt the problems are
related ?

4>JBD: barrier-based sync failed on hdb1 - disabling barriers
7>Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
<4>warning: many lost ticks.
<4>Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging
interupts

Really appreciative of your interest in my problem. Hope you can make
sense of it.

Bob S.