Re: [SLUG] Explain this please

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2005 - 03:24:54 EST

On Friday 21 January 2005 07:57, Daniel Jarboe wrote:
> > Hmmm...that puzzles me, because I don't get the barrier message on
> > those other partitions of that drive, and lsmod says that jbd is
> > running.
>
> Nowhere in /var/log/messages or dmesg output? Even after generating
> write activity on those filesystems? Are they mounted with the same
> options?

All exactly the same. OK, checked in dmesg and /var/log/messages as you
suggested.

Well, first there are messages that hdb4 (and others) are mounted with
an ordered file system (ext3), but way down the list in dmesg, (seems
to be random)( eg; 25 lines down, then another 4 or 5 lines, then
another 12 lines, etc.) I get the JBD message for some of those other
partitions.

In checking tonight's boot-up in /var/log/messages I get the JBD message
for hdb7, 10, & 4.

OK, so what is happening is that message doesn't come up until there is
a write attempt to that partition ?

> I'm not sure about why that would occur if these other partitions are
> all ext3, and mounted and being written to, unless the hda1
> filesystem was written to before the module was loaded out of the
> initrd. But usually when systems do mount the / filesystem before
> the initrd modules have been loaded, it is only mounted read-only and
> then remounted read-write later. Is your / on hda1? Or is it just
> /boot? Do you see ext3 messages in /var/log/messages as the systems
> are being mounted?
>
> At any rate, that does seem strange, but is not the end of the world.
> You do not risk data-corruption or something like that.
>
> Sorry this wasn't more help,

No, you have been helpful. I learned something new. One last question.
Is this a hardware thing ?? hard drive or motherboard? If it's the hard
drive should I be worried? My replacement motherboard should arrive
tomorrow or monday. ( Don't pay any attention to the time and date.
Sick of fixing it)

Bob S.