Re: [SLUG] Looking for Software

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 09:25:04 EST

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 08:37, Christopher Hotchkiss wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:58:49 -0500, Russ Wright
>
> <rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > Hello Sluggers!
> >
> > I have a friend who owns a small taxi service. He is looking for some
> > sort of computer hardware/software combination to do the following:
> >
> > 1. Log the incoming phone call date/time and phone number from caller
> > ID.
> >
> > 2. Keep an audio record of the conversation between the operator and the
> > customer for training/customer service purposes.
> >
> > 3. It runs in the background and does not interfere with the day to day
> > operations.
> >
> > 4. Provides an interface that he can understand and can review calls.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Have you tried Voice over IP with a OSS PBX? A dedicated box can do
> that and I'm sure that monitoring features are built in to the
> packages.

The thing to keep in mind with using the same cpu to process VoIP i sthat if
you use it to do something more processor heavy, it will degrade the quality
of VoIP.

I've been working with software VoIP for two years and it's very sensitive to
delays, so we NEVER merge ANYTHING into a VoIP box other than VoIP.

True, if he only have one call at a time going on, then the odds are better.
Especially if quality is not essential. It's not for nothing you pay
thousands for a phone system.

The best software VoIP is no doubt Asterisk. But it's no walk in the park
building and maintaining. You're going to need to spend some serious time
learning. Check out http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

You could of course pay someone to do it for you too.

We usually take a high end computer (2.8-3.2G) processor (which is the one
doing all the work) and build a VoIP box. But some people are happy with a
much slower box for home use.

At least if you got the time you can build it and see how it works out under
those conditions.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.