Re: [SLUG] voip overview, please

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 23:05:05 EST

I'm going to try to load Asterisk this weekend. I'll probably d/l the
live CD tomorrow just to familiarize myself with it. I'm not
intimidated by the install... I'm pretty tenacious when given a challenge.

Anyway, what do you do to connect your Asterisk PBX to the PSTN (did I
get my acronyms right?) I'm assuming you have to pay for a service of
some sort. Some mentioned Vonage, etc... but I'd be paying just as much
for Vonage as my regular Verizon acct! I'm looking for a way to set up
Asterisk and be able to make outbound calls at a minimum. However, I'd
like to do inbound and outbound and have a real phone number for my
inbound. Is that possible for less than $30/month?