Re: [SLUG] voip overview, please

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 01:00:13 EST

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 23:05, Eric A. Hicks wrote:
> I'm going to try to load Asterisk this weekend. I'll probably d/l the
> live CD tomorrow just to familiarize myself with it. I'm not
> intimidated by the install... I'm pretty tenacious when given a challenge.
>
> Anyway, what do you do to connect your Asterisk PBX to the PSTN (did I
> get my acronyms right?) I'm assuming you have to pay for a service of
> some sort. Some mentioned Vonage, etc... but I'd be paying just as much
> for Vonage as my regular Verizon acct! I'm looking for a way to set up
> Asterisk and be able to make outbound calls at a minimum. However, I'd
> like to do inbound and outbound and have a real phone number for my
> inbound. Is that possible for less than $30/month?

Well I own a VoIP network. But my clients are corporations. I'm not aimed at
home or SOHO users. You can have single line card(s) and connect directly to
the PSTN. Or you can use a broadband connection and go over the Internet.

Using VoIP is just more fun. No reason you cannot have both. Unfortunately I
could not tell you what to expect price wise. Vonage is big and able to
compete with the the likes of AT&T. Their pricing should be pretty good.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.