teachers, was Re: [SLUG] Re: Slug Newbie here...

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 00:55:26 EST

Hi all, just catching up on my 700+ Slug emails and
cam e across this bit in a flame war :)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with teaching
Mr. Foxworth. I know exactly how bad it can be. I am
a middle school teacher. I used to work at a bank as
a COBOL programmer... don't scoff, the programs I
wrote ran on 12 different MVS installations around the
world. I'm proud of that ;)

As to the teaching bit: it's been my experience that
the school system is by far the most hostile ego
driven politically abusive environment to work in that
I've ever heard about. My school has replaced close
to half it's staff in under a year. How did I manage
to stay. Here's the recipe: learn to kiss butt and
like it. Read as much as you can about how to be a
good slave. Take notes from a marine drill sargent,
and last but not least, you will need to either have
some wonderfull blackmailing skills, join the union,
or finish lawschool. All kidding aside, I'm never
sure if I'm going to get my contract renewed for
another year. It seems to be like that until the end
of your third year. It doesn't get easier after
that... it just means that it makes it harder for them
to give you the one thing after teaching middle school
for three years that you now have come to long for...
a pink slip vacation.

I do love teaching the kiddies though.

I know the topic of Linux and education has come up
many times on many different lists... I gave up trying
to be an evangelist in this industry. Yes it could
save the education industry literally billions of
dollars.. but that would make too much sense. Anyone
that has taught before would know what I mean by that
one. Nothing that is done in education is done simple
and effective.. it's all complicated at inefficient..
seems to be the way the system is designed.

BTW... I wouldn't suggest being a tech coordinator
either. At least right now. That is unless you like
being an outcast. Teachers don't think you work, and
administrator treat you like a dog. The only real
payoff is getting to do pretty much what you want to
with the technology ... until they fire you for saying
hi to the wrong kid :)

LOL
Best wishes for your future endeavors.
Rob