Re: [SLUG] DVD firmware flasher?

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 23:43:07 EST

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:10:32 -0500, Levi Bard
<taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've heard horror stories about the 2.4 to 2.6 transition. Has anybody done
> > it _without_ reinstalling? kernel.org says the last 2.4 series kernel is
> > 2.4.29. Any changes in the SCSI code between 2.4.26 and 2.4.29?
>
> I did. It was actually relatively painless for me. Just kept my old
> entry in grub just in case, but I didn't have a problem.
>
> --
> Debianista!

I switched back during 2.6.0-test5 without reinstalling. It was a Red
Hat 9 system and there were some RPM related bugs in those days, but
now that applications are supporting the new kernel the migration is
fairly painless and well worth it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the
new development process has occasionally made for some earth-shaking
changes and less of the code stability that you'd expect from the
current stable kernel. In the past 4k stack size has caused problems,
and right now, flexmmap seems to be causing some limited scope
problems.