Re: [SLUG] Spam Lotto

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 18:03:38 EST

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:41:03AM -0500, Richard Smoot wrote:

> Did everybody on the list win 1,500,000 Euros?
> How are thease people getting on our list if they are not members?
> From the headers it appears to have been sent to the whole list.

They're not. However, our list archives are on the internet, where email
addresses can be farmed. I have yet to see a piece of actual spam
originated via the NKS list servers to this list. They have extensive
spam-fighting infrastructure, and I'd thrash the originator of spam if
he/she actually subscribed and started spamming.

In short, whatever you got was spoofed to look like it was from the SLUG
list. But a more careful look at the headers will show you it is not, in
fact, from NKS. (One clue is often that the originating IP doesn't match
that of any NKS servers.)

Paul