Re: [SLUG] Spam Lotto

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 08:13:19 EST

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 10:22, Bob Stia wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 14:53, jeff wrote:
> > I run spamassassin and kmail. I have filters in kmail that sort my
> > whitelisted messages first, then the rest gets piped through
> > spamassassin. So far, it seems to be working quite well. Only one
> > false positive in about 6 months ( a newsletter that was mostly html,
> > and spamassassin flagged it for excessive html content).
>
> Jeff,
>
> How have you set up your "whitelists" in kmail ?? Been trying to figure
> that out. Are you also using the bayesian filters. Maybe I just don't
> understand but it seems as kmail just runs the generic spamassassin.

Spamassassin is a bayesian filter. In kmail, I have folders set up for the
whitelisted mail. Under Settings->Configure Filters, I have added my
whitelist rules. The kmail rules are executed before spamassassin is called.
EX: I have a folder named SLUG. All SLUG messages are moved to the SLUG folder
without additional filtering. If the subject does not contain [SLUG] (or any
other whitelisted key), the message then gets piped through spamassassin.
If you create a folder named spam, then move the messages flagged as spam into
that folder (along with the spam that was not flagged), you can run sa-learn
to train spamassassin.

In my case, spamassassin was not always moving the spam to the spam folder.
So the last rule in kmail checks the inbox for mail bearing the spam flag
header and moves those into the spam folder. If any are missed, I drag them
over by hand, then a cron script runs sa-learn periodically to train
spamassassin so that the number of misses gradually decreases.

Jeff