Re: [SLUG] Linux Internet Appliance

From: 404 (matthew@textbox.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 17:26:43 EST

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 16:43, Eric Jahn wrote:
> Sometime this winter, either Linux Journal or Linux Magazine reviewed a
> diskless embedded linux appliance workstation which had Mozilla and some
> other software preinstalled on it for $300 IIRC. Does anybody know who made
> that or anything similar? Thanks!

Im not sure what they were talking about but I do know of a very nice
hackable device - the Gateway Connected Touchpad. Once a friend & I
found out that AOL was going to use a Medori Linux / 400MHz Transmeta
CPU powered device, we wanted to take it apart and see what it was made
of. When we found a total lack of GPL info in the device we went public,
and with sales already lacking AOL decided to pull the unit off the
shelves.

You can still find the GCT on sites like linux-hacker.net (as well as
other cool hacked up devices) and ebay, you can run just about anything
on them - any flavor of Linux and even windows.

--
404 <matthew@textbox.net>
Textbox Networks