Re: [SLUG] <OT> RIP Microsoft?

From: Norbert Omar Cartagena (slug@gnorb.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 02:24:17 EST

Ken Elliott wrote:

>>>Somewhat ironically, case and point:
>>>http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2005-02-14-iptv-ready-to-ro
>>>

>ll_x.htm
>

>I find this comment telling:
>
>"Who's going to fire you if you choose Microsoft? If you choose Digital Data
>Wack, and it doesn't work, then you're going to get fired."
>
>Remember the old saying "nobody got fired for buying IBM"? In those days,
>there were many people who felt IBM represented evil, working to tie their
>customer to their proprietary hardware and software. Back then Microsoft
>was hungry, and the champion of (somewhat) "open" systems. Today, they are
>fat and now trying to put the genie back in the bottle - becoming what IBM
>once represented. And it's hurting them badly.
>
>Meanwhile, the Open Systems movement, started by Unix, is catching it's
>second breath in the form of Linux. History repeats in cycles...
>
>Ken Elliott

Hmm... I wonder then what the downfall of Linux might end up being? It
reminds me of a comment by RMS: (here's an approximation)

"If they remember our software, but forget our reasons for making it,
then we have failed. If our software is long forgotten, but our process
isn't, then we've succeeded."