Re: [SLUG] <OT> RIP Microsoft?

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 11:35:09 EST

On Feb 15, 2005, at 10:45 AM, perthie wrote:
> I agree, and this fact is giving the whole industry a mixed message.
> Everyone cant wait to see Microsoft go to hell, but no one wants to
> offer a suitable replacement (or maybe no one _can_ offer a suitable
> replacement without re-creating the same problems)

The one company that *has* offerred a usable alternative, but has yet
to truly capitalize on it, is Apple, with Mac OS X. However, Steve
Jobs killed the whole idea of licensing the system on "clone" equipment
(like IBM did) when he reassumed the Apple throne, and unless you come
in at the VERY low end (i.e, Mac Mini or iBook G4), the cost of entry
is high. But then, when you own the equipment AND the OS, there's an
advantage.

Steven Buehler | swbuehler@yahoo.com/steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Personal Home Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org
Instant Messengers: swbuehler (Yahoo/Skype/Mac iChat AV),
StevenBuehlerFL (AIM), stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.)
Composed on an Apple iBook G4
Qualify for a FREE APPLE IPOD: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=9458651