Re: [SLUG] <OT> RIP Microsoft?

From: Craig Zeigler (craig@ctrust.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 13:37:36 EST

Steven Buehler wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2005, at 10:45 AM, perthie wrote:
>
>> I agree, and this fact is giving the whole industry a mixed message.
>> Everyone cant wait to see Microsoft go to hell, but no one wants to
>> offer a suitable replacement (or maybe no one _can_ offer a suitable
>> replacement without re-creating the same problems)
>

> The one company that *has* offerred a usable alternative, but has yet
> to truly capitalize on it, is Apple, with Mac OS X. However, Steve
> Jobs killed the whole idea of licensing the system on "clone"
> equipment (like IBM did) when he reassumed the Apple throne, and
> unless you come in at the VERY low end (i.e, Mac Mini or iBook G4),
> the cost of entry is high. But then, when you own the equipment AND
> the OS, there's an advantage.
>
> Steven Buehler | swbuehler@yahoo.com/steven@sanctuaryweb.org
> Personal Home Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org
> Instant Messengers: swbuehler (Yahoo/Skype/Mac iChat AV),
> StevenBuehlerFL (AIM), stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.)
> Composed on an Apple iBook G4
> Qualify for a FREE APPLE IPOD: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=9458651
>
>> .

>> The all-new My Yahoo! - What will yours do?
>> http://my.yahoo.com
>> This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>> Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>> posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>> official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

Folks, lets keep in mind that Microsoft is one of those giant companies
that isn't going to go anywhere for a very long time. This is a company
that could afford to burn cash for years. One day they will most likely
become a second string player, but that day is a long way off. I'd like
to mention that part of the reason i'm not going to Linux world is that
I don't want to listen to four days of people yammering about how
Microsoft will be crushed, and all that saber rattling.

If you honestly thing Microsoft is going to be dead in ten years, there
is obviously something you don't understand about the company...

Just my $0.02

--
Craig Zeigler
Network Administrator