Re: [SLUG] shhh.....

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 08:20:04 EST

Pete Theisen wrote:

> mark@bish.net wrote:
>

>> http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2005/02/07/daily29.html
>>
>> Honeywell Signs In-Flight Cell Call Deal
>> Honeywell entered a contract this week with AltoBridge, Ltd. to
>> enable aircraft passengers to place and receive calls on their
>> personal cellular telephones in flight. Honeywell successfully
>> completed a flight test of its system using AltoBridge software in
>> August 2004 under an experimental license granted by the Federal
>> Communications Commission. The test showed that Honeywell.s system
>> does not interfere with the ground cellular system or the aircraft.s
>> navigation and communication systems. The on-board system directs
>> personal cellular phones to use their lowest power level. AltoBridge
>> will provide technology enabling full incoming and outgoing voice and
>> text messaging without interference with aircraft systems or the
>> ground cellular network. Honeywell.s onboard cellular phone system
>> initially will work with GSM cellular networks. The agreement calls
>> for AltoBridge to integrate the Honeywell system with other cellular
>> networks and wireless technologies in the future. Honeywell plans to
>> have the system available for installation on aircraft by mid-2005.
>>

> Hi Mark!
>
> Seems like people could already call from aircraft? Those calls from
> the hijacked planes on 911 come to mind? Was it illegal to do it
> without AltoBridge, or just uncertain or inconvenient?

I thought they were using the airphone ( satellite phones that were in
the planes which cost a small fortune.

Question for Mark, anyword on what cell technologies and freq it will
support. GSM uses 4 different bands depending where you are and what
your provider is. wouldnt the 800 and 850 bands cause problems with the
plane. Even with the alto bridge creating a mini tower to make the
cells go into lowe power mode as it thinks it is sitting right on a
tower, isnt it still add up if you have half the plane dialing on there
cells.

What kind of simulated load was done during the test. the FCC press
reelase did not say.
Other than the logical CDMA, are they going to make it compatible with
TDMA ( which is not used too much these days but was the basis of gsm)
also would they even waste the money on motorollas iden technology even
though the largest provider in the world is droping it. ( nextel
surprising is the largest user of iden in the world) But is Honeywell
going to do any information press release about alto bridge soon.