Re: [SLUG] shhh.....

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 08:38:55 EST

On Feb 17, 2005, at 4:56 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> mark@bish.net wrote:
> Seems like people could already call from aircraft? Those calls from
> the hijacked planes on 911 come to mind? Was it illegal to do it
> without AltoBridge, or just uncertain or inconvenient?

They used the airphones, except in one case I think an actual cell
phone was used (given they were five miles away from any nearby tower
going at 600 MPH, it's a surprise it got through).

The FCC is only recently permitting the use of cell phones after the
door closes, subject to individual airlines' preferences. It was
feared that the use of cell phones would mess with the plane's
navigation systems, and it was found that they don't (after all, they
fly near cell towers all the time, if cell phones were a problem the
cell towers should have also been screwing up their systems. They
haven't.).

Steven Buehler | swbuehler@yahoo.com/steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Personal Home Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org
Instant Messengers: swbuehler (Yahoo/Skype/Mac iChat AV),
StevenBuehlerFL (AIM), stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.)
Composed on an Apple iBook G4
Qualify for a FREE APPLE IPOD: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=9458651