Re: [SLUG] Changing to root

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 15:07:02 EST

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Working on my website I would like to copy text from open office write
> to the Mambo editor on my host server but mozilla won't allow it unless
> I change some files. One of the files to be changed is root access only.

Is that file on your machine, or some other machine? Users are generally
not related between machines; however, the superuser is almost always named
"root". What directory is this file in? What are you trying to do
ultimately?

> I know the root username

So do I -- "root".

> and password but it doesn't seem to give me an opportunity to put it in
> anywhere.
>
> I tried to open the file in a konquerer window but that won't let me
> change the permissions of the offending file unless I am root, but won't
> let me become root.

What exactly did you do, and what was the response?

> What the heck?

"su" doesn't work? What does it say when you try? You might even hit
ctrl-alt-F[1-6], log in as root, and do whatever.

> I could log in to start as root,

Wait -- what does who you log in as have to do with accessing some file?

> but then I would be on the web as root which is asking for trouble they
> tell me.

Yes, you should minimize root's exposure/use.

> Can't paste it anywhere because you have to change the permissions first.
> The file I have to change is user.js.

How about:

make sure Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape/whatever is not running
cat user.js > user.jx
mv user.jx user.js

then edit user.js

Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky about who it makes friends with.