Re: [SLUG] Play an .iso

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 11:28:13 EST

> > Recently copied a movie to my hard drive as an .iso. I can mount it and
> > see the various .BUP & .IFO files. Cannot make it play. How does one
> > play the movie from the hard drive? Using Kaffeine.
>
> One of them (I forget which... the big one I guess) is mostly an MPEG. Try
> to play it despite the name.

It's the VOB files you want, actually. Both Mplayer and Xine should
be able to play it assuming its unencrypted. If it is encrypted, you
will probably need something like libdvdcss, which might run you afowl
of the DMCA, unless you are using a distro (like lindows) that
actually licenced it from the DVD Forum. Most don't.

.BUP and .IFO files are not encrypted... if you only see those then
it's probably because the .VOB files are encrypted. There are some
linux DVD authoring FAQ's which will probably give you a better
understanding of what your options are.

~ Daniel