Re: [SLUG] Play an .iso

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 01:15:07 EST

On Sunday 27 February 2005 11:28, Daniel Jarboe wrote:
> > > Recently copied a movie to my hard drive as an .iso. I can mount
> > > it and see the various .BUP, VOB & .IFO files. Cannot make it
> > > play.
> > > How does one play the movie from the hard drive? Using
> > > Kaffeine.
> >
> It's the VOB files you want, actually. Both Mplayer and Xine should
> be able to play it assuming its unencrypted. If it is encrypted, you
> will probably need something like libdvdcss,

OK, tried and opened a VOB file in Kaffiene (Xine) and it tried to play.
Got the sound and a partial picture (some parts of the subjects but was
very blocky and pixelated. (because it is still encrypted?)

I have lidvdcss installed. I created the .iso using k3b. Not sure if k3b
picks up and uses libdvdcss though or just copies it bit for bit. I may
be wrong but the encryption is for "copy protection", right ?? and if
it gets copied to the HD with all of the files it should be good,
right ??

> .BUP and .IFO files are not encrypted... if you only see those then
> it's probably because the .VOB files are encrypted.

No, it copies the VOB files but they seem to be corrupted or
something.Question; what is the purpose of the BUP & IFO files. Must
have something to do with the way the movie plays,

I then burned the .iso file to a blank DVD and tried to play it from the
DVD drive. Got the message that the file appeared to be encrypted. ???
How come the original DVD could play, even though encrypted, and the
copy would not ?

> There are some
> linux DVD authoring FAQ's which will probably give you a better
> understanding of what your options are.

Thanks Daniel, if you could elaborate a little more it would be
appreciated. Guess I will have to do a lot more googling than I
already have,

Bob S.