Re: [SLUG] x window tk script to run from cron

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 14:55:46 EST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Larry Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 14:01, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > Cron doesn't run in an X environment. So if it's trying to launch an
> > X-based application (which is what it sounds like), it's going to fail
> > on that part. Most X apps launched from an xterm can detect that they're
> > running in an X environment and launch properly. But cron doesn't run
> > that way. I'm guessing that if you try to run any X app from a pure
> > console (not an xterm, but a real console), you'll get the same or
> > similar error message.
>
> So does this mean that it is not possible to start a gui app from cron?

Must not be. I entered the cron job

49 * * * * DISPLAY=:0 /usr/local/bin/xdaliclock

and xdaliclock popped up. "xhost" syntax is "xhost +hostname", not
"xhost + hostname". How do I check what my X access list is?

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al