Re: [SLUG] x window tk script to run from cron

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 16:51:22 EST

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:12:02PM -0500, Steven Buehler wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Larry Brown wrote:
>
> >I have tried
> >to use suid to run the script as me, but when running the script as
> >another user it fails to connect to 0:0 due to security. Temporarily I
> >can bypass that security by allowing another user to connect to my
> >x-server, but I don't think I can do this from cron.
>
> Issue the command 'xhost +' to allow all users access to X-Windows host
> and try running it again from cron. If that works, it's a permissions
> issue and you may have to add the xhost command to your X startup
> process.
>
> I run into this frequently on more recent distributions when I'm logged
> in as a user and try to run a command in xterm as root. Issuing 'xhost
> +' fixes this.
>
> Steven W. Buehler | swbuehler@yahoo.com

Steven:

You're attaching something like a 6k mime-encoded signature file to your
emails, a "pkcs7" signature? I don't know what this is. My mutt is
choking on it, but that may be because it's not the latest version. I'm
more concerned about the 6k overhead on every email you send,
particularly those to the list. What's the purpose of this file?

Paul