Re: [SLUG] Rant about Alsa

From: R. Samuel Jose, Jr. (rob@buzr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 15:48:17 EST

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:22 -0500, Paddy wrote:
> Please permit me the following;
>
> <RANT> When Alan Cox first introduced ALSA I was amazed. Why did
> someone go to the trouble to write a sound program with all of the
> drivers when OSS offered the same for a few dollars. I smelled
> politics. What further astounded me and still does why write all of
> that code and turn the damn thing off (Mute) by default? Must have
> thought it cool to make people hunt around to find the knob. <END OF
> RANT>
>
> I have recently installed Fedora Core 3 on a new box which consist of an
> Asus A7V880 MB, an Athlon XP 3200 (400 FSB) CPU, 1 GB of Kingston Value
> Ram PC3200 DDR400, a Maxtor ATA 133 250 GB HD, a Sony DRU-510A DVD and
> other goodies. Just yesterday I bought a set of Logitech X-530
> speakers. Goin to hear some great sounds, huh?
>
> Well it seems this great outfit only plays the system sounds, open a
> file close a file, real interesting stuff.
>
> I had previously purchased "SAMS Red Hat Linux Fedora 3 Unleashed as a
> reference because the last time I fooled around with Red Hat was version
> 5.1, (I still have the boot disk) and I thought they may have made a few
> improvements since then. They have but sound is not one of them.
>
> I bought an OSS driver for $5.00 dollars back then and I heard sound.
> Not now.
>
> Anyhow, after checking the book, various man pages and shaking feathers
> and rattling bones, I am no farther along than I was when I started.
>
> If anyone can offer help I would appreciate it. Please don't tell me to
> configure the sound card because I already have, I also have used the
> alsamixer, saved same with alsactl store 0, read the man pages for
> amixer(1), aplay(1) and arecord(1).
>
> The only thing I surmise is that the Linux code must feel like a
> stranger in paradise. After all, running on all of this new up to date
> hardware when the guys who wrote the code were using 8086 and 8088
> machines that were owned by a university must make the code feel out of
> place.
>
> All advise is welcome.
>
> Paddy

The Gentoo ALSA guide has a section on configuring ALSA
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml#doc_chap3) that talks about
setting the amixer values. I would imagine the alsamixer and amixer
parts should be relevant in FC3. If this is something you've already
tried, accept my apologies... :)

Unmute the Channels

By default, all sound channels are muted. To fix this, run amixer:

Code Listing 3.5: Running amixer

# amixer

If amixer produces lots of output then you're ready to unmute the
channels. If you receive an error, doublecheck that your soundcard
module is started.

Now unmute the Master and PCM channels. If this isn't sufficient, also
unmute the Center and Surround channels.

Code Listing 3.6: Unmuting the sound channels

(If you prefer an ncurses method:)

# alsamixer

(or)

# amixer set Master 100% unmute