Re: [SLUG] Rant about Alsa

From: Paddy (paddy@ij.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 17:25:19 EST

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:48 -0500, R. Samuel Jose, Jr. wrote:
> The Gentoo ALSA guide has a section on configuring ALSA
> (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml#doc_chap3) that talks about
> setting the amixer values. I would imagine the alsamixer and amixer
> parts should be relevant in FC3. If this is something you've already
> tried, accept my apologies... :)
>
> Unmute the Channels
>
> By default, all sound channels are muted. To fix this, run amixer:
>

> Code Listing 3.5: Running amixer
>

> # amixer
>
> If amixer produces lots of output then you're ready to unmute the
> channels. If you receive an error, doublecheck that your soundcard
> module is started.
>
> Now unmute the Master and PCM channels. If this isn't sufficient, also
> unmute the Center and Surround channels.
>

> Code Listing 3.6: Unmuting the sound channels
>

> (If you prefer an ncurses method:)
>
> # alsamixer
>
> (or)
>
> # amixer set Master 100% unmute
> # amixer set PCM 100% unmute
> (Only if the above isn't sufficient:)
> # amixer set Center 100% unmute
> # amixer set Surround 100% unmute
> # amixer set Headphone 100% unmute

Here is the result of running the amixer command;

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 26 [84%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 27 [87%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 27 [87%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 27 [87%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 27 [87%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround Jack as Input',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Center/LFE Jack as Input',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [on]
  Front Right: Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Output',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Mono: 2 [67%]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback Source',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 15
  Front Left: Capture 11 [73%] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 11 [73%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Downmix',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Exchange Front/Surround',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',1
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Spread Front to Surround and Center/LFE',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',1
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',2
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',3
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%]

I also ran the commands individually as you suggested and got the same
results as those combined in the above message.

TIA

Paddy