[SLUG] Minutes of the Meeting 2005-03-08

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 02:34:27 EST

On Eighth of March, 2005, about sixteen persons assembled in hollowed
halls of HCC to partake in camaraderie and good humor.

(Read on to the end for a funny story involving an elevator, four women,
myself, Chad, Nate, and a SuSE Personal edition box set)

The cast of characters was as follows:

* Mario Lombardo, as our fearless leader.
* Nathan Anderson, the jolly tinker
* Dylan Hardison, as J. Random Geek.
* William Overstreet, as Dylan's twin (according to Jim Lightfoot)
* Alex Harris, a.k.a. nccuss17
* SOTL the Seeker, Seeking knowledge of NFS.
* Caleb (I won't write his last name because I'll spell it wrong)
* Kevin Counts, UNIX admin.
* Dave Lowe Us! For the Lowe of Dave, dot us!
* Jonathon "Blame my parents" Conte
* Chad Perrin, You don't want to know where he installs Linux.
* Jim Lightfoot, said something really funny and I don't remember it. Darn.
* Joel Bronson, Let there be light.
* Bruce Kreutzer
* Eric Mills

Choice quotes: (Not exact quotes)

 "Wayne lurks on the mailing list, yeah." -- Mario
 "Wayne lurks in the shadows waiting to feast upon our bones." -- Dylan
 "I want to install SuSE on a hooker." -- Chad
 "I'll shave next time" -- William, after Jim Lightfoot said he looked
like me (Dylan).

Conversation:
 Chad: "Actually, you know what distro would be better to install on a hooker?"
 Dylan: "Jailbait?"
 Chad: "No, actually, I was thinking something else..."
 Dylan: "Lindows!"
 Chad: "Well, I was going to say Linspire, ..."

[Yeah folks, SLUG. Fun for the whole family. Ahem]

That is pretty much everyone that was at the meeting, so it was a sparse meeting
for Tampa. Nevertheless, much comedy was to be had. SOTL (I believe) manged to
gather a number of helpers to assist him in setting up NFS. I know not
how he fared;
perhaps he will comment on this thread and share his thoughts.
Everyone is encouraged to contribute to this thread with any comments
or experiences at the meeting,
even if they did not attend.

Another group broke off, which I was part of, talking of security, or
lack there of on Windows.
Windows clustering edition (Or as Chad so elegantly put it, "Windows
Cluster F*ck (TM)".
There was a lot of jokes flying around. Some less scrupulous members of our LUG,
such as myself, considered using Linux live CDs on the computers which
were present in the Lab.
No action was taken out of respect for the fear of offending our
gracious hosts, HCC.
Or fear of Mario hitting us with heavy boxes.

The SLUG IRC channel, #slug.fl on irc.freenode.net, was prominantly
mentioned on the whiteboard.
There was Wifi access, and I was able to connect to my home box and
check in our little IRC channel,
and lo and behold someone was there with a HCC IP address.
I asked around, "Hey, who's nccuss17?"
And my friend Dave Lowe asked louder, to the room, "Hey, who's in the
IRC channel?"
It was none other than Alex Harris.

An IRC transcript follows, mixed with real-world events (denoted with #)
follows:

19:33 -!- nccuss17 [~chatzilla@169.139.222.5] has joined #slug.FL
19:33 <nccuss17> dir
19:34 <nccuss17> woops wrong place
# Minutes pass.
# At this point, I and Dave Lowe asked the room who was on the IRC channel.
19:41 <nccuss17> hi
# I wave to Alex Harris, who is at other corner of the room.
19:41 <dylan> how are you?
# Hilarity ensues, as the rest of the room is informed of our greeting
in IRC while
# a mere 20 feet from each other.
# Laughter is heard from multiple people.
19:42 <nccuss17> f u?
19:42 <nccuss17> to you who's impersonating the dylan
19:43 <dylan> I really am Dylan
# At the same time, I holler to Alex: "I really am Dylan!"

It is perhaps supreme geekery to talk to someone in IRC when you're in
the same room.

More conversation in my corner of the room, with Chad, Nate, Dave Dorm,
Jonathon, Eric Mills, and Mario. Countless quips, exchanges of Linux
knowledge, etc.

At this point, I carried my laptop around the room collecting names of
people so that
they might be mentioned herein. Talked to Caleb about his Spanish lastname,
and to Jim Lightfoot the strangeness of Lord of the Rings in spanish,
for Lord of the Rings
in English is almost another language in and of itself.

During my talk with Jim Lightfoot, William came upon my laptop, which
held the list of names
of SLUGdom that were present in a vi session, and added his name,
Overstreet, which was most helpful.
Jim said he thinks I and William bear a striking resemblance, which I
do not see.
William commented he would shave next time. And commented about some
non-familiy relation of his that
looks like him. I asked if it was his brother, he said no. I asked if
it was his sister,
and he seemed nonplussed.

Bruce, Eric, SOTL, and Jonathon are some of the people I didn't really
talk to enough during
the meeting, so there is a lack of material from them.

I believe it was Eric that remembered me from the "I Hate Gmail"
thread, of all things.
I say, I do not hate Gmail. But I no longer write emails in it. I
write them in Vi and
copy-n-paste them in. Eric, Nate, and some others also expressed a liking of
my Minutes of the Meeting, which I am greatful.

There was a rafle, which only gained SLUG $6. Chad won a SuSE box set.
A while after this, someone Chad got to talking about installing SuSE on people.

So, as I, Chad, and Nate were leaving to Benigan's, we had to take an elevator,
for we were on the fourth floor. Along came four women, and get in the elevator.
Nathan and I were going to wait for another, but Chad goes on ahead,
and one of the women
says something to the note of "we don't bite".
I say, jovially, "Ah, we're computer geeks. We're afraid of women."

Chad asks the women if they'd like a free operating system.
One of them asks "Can you install it on a person?",
to which Chad responds with something like "I was planning on
installing it on a hooker",
where several seconds later I turn to Chad, my face red, "That's it,
you're not allowed to talk to
people anymore!"

All seven people in the elevator laughed, and another of the women said
"That one's not afraid of girls."

When Mr. Anderson and I arrived at the the Benigans, the host-like
person quickly said
"That guy over there is waving at you", and Chad was already there.
Chad claimed to have installed Debian on the host-like guy,
thus having him under his control.
He also commented the need to install Debian on the servers so they
would serve us.
But all the waitresses were busy singing happy birthday to someone who
was having their 15th birthday.

Not to pick on Chad, but he says a lot of quotable things:
  "Oh look, a hooker. Wait. That's how people dress these days."

Kevin Counts also arrived at our table, before any food was ordered.
There was much talk of Subversion, Ruby, perl, Python's evil tabs.
Great conversation, basically.

Someone said "Actually, Jailbait is a linux distro that fits on 16MB"
A joke was made: "Jailbait linux, only 16..." and some variations.
(I should explain, jailbait linux refers to some comments made after
Mario mentioned this distro at the last St. Pete meeting. Poor Mario. ;)

There were a few jokes involving William Shatner, as well some as some jokes
made at the expense of Fedora, Python, Richard Stallman, HURD, and Eric Raymond.

After we exited the Benigans, we stood around talking for almost an hour.
It is surprising that only four people came to the debreifing session,
but it was quite entertaining.

So, that's all.