[SLUG] Databases

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 17:44:32 EST

Hi All

As usual I am a bit confused, which goes especially with new ventures and a
database is a new venture.

To my knowledge the best desktop frontend for a simple database is the
database frontend end in Open Office. If there is a better one I would love
to know about it.

Anyway, I desire to locate a data base in a server and connect to it from
eventually 4 computers but at present one.

To translate for those of you who have seen my equipment I would like to put a
database in the MSI box and connect to it with the Thinkpad. Later to add 2
additional computers hopefully from that nasty manufacture located in Redmont
but since I will mot be using one of those computers I am not overtly
concerned about their working or not.

Anyway Open Office provides connection to a number of different types of data
bases including direct connection by URL to Oracle JDBC, MySQL, LDAP, and
JDBC. Open Oddice database will also connect to Adabas D, dBase, & ODBC.

>From a pure simplistic of connection point of view which would be the easiest
to: set up, work with, transfer data into not using Open Office data
transformation tools as they are non existing as yet?

Would it be best to use dBase and NFT as the only data transformation tool in
Open office is to dBase? Or are there other tools which would make using one
of the other types preferable?

Thanks

Frank