RE: [SLUG] Databases

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 09:20:35 EST

<Frank>
>> From a pure simplistic of connection point of view which would be the
easiest
>> to: set up, work with, transfer data into not using Open Office data
>> transformation tools as they are non existing as yet?
</Frank>

It sounds like you want to have an application that runs on almost anything.
Here's a few possible approaches:

MySQL, Apache and PHP - You create web pages that function as data
entry/query pages. Since they rely only on a browser, you can use Linux,
Windows, Mac or even a PDA. There is some coding involved, but it's not
very hard. You can get a thin $10 book at Barns & Noble that will get you
the basics. Downside - you have to actually write code. Here's a tutorial:
http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql

MySQL ODBC driver - Install this in your Windows Boxes (or Mac and Unix
boxes), and you can use any ODBC-aware app to work on your MySQL data. This
does not export the data - it's a live connection to the MySQL server. You
can use Access or Excel (for example) to work on the data. So if the goal
is to provide Win-folks with the ability to get to the data, this works
pretty good. Downside - different apps on different platforms.
http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/odbc/

MySQL ODBC driver + Open Office - If you install Open Office on the Win
boxes, you have a common set of tools on both Windows and Linux. Downside -
little. Here's a "how-to" (PDF):
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL9.pdf

Of course, you can do all these things, and have all the benefits. You can
work on Open Office in any machine, the Win user can use Excel to analyze,
and use PHP web pages for query/data entry.

But I'm sure the more experienced will chip in with more refined
suggestions. These may not be as simple as "mysqlcc", but they give you
other abilities, depending on what you are trying to do.

Ken Elliott