[SLUG] Difficulty level for a beginner?

From: 404 (matthew@textbox.net)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 22:32:20 EST

As you can see from my last post, I want to learn to code. I have been
using bash scripts to do stuff on my system but I would like to be able
to code it to an actual program. Example:

#!/bin/bash
CAT=/bin/cat
ECHO=/bin/echo
GREP=/bin/grep

$ECHO "[------- Battery Info ---------]"
$CAT /proc/omnibook/battery | $GREP Stat
$CAT /proc/omnibook/battery | $GREP Gau
$CAT /proc/omnibook/ac
$ECHO "[------- Fan and Temp ---------]"
$CAT /proc/omnibook/temperature
$CAT /proc/omnibook/fan
$ECHO "[------------------------------]"

This is a script I use to check my battery and temp on my laptop. The
output is:

matt@slacker:~> sysinf
[------- Battery Info ---------]
Gauge: 100 %
AC on-line
[------- Fan and Temp ---------]
CPU temperature: 58 C
Fan is off

Am I digging in too deep for just starting? I have been reading over the
online examples and plan on getting a few books next week. I just wanted
to know if my plans for what I want to do are too much for someone just
starting ;-p

--
|  Matt Burke - Textbox Networks    |