Re: [SLUG] Difficulty level for a beginner?

From: 404 (matthew@textbox.net)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 02:31:53 EST

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 01:13, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Personally, I never do this. Rather than setting a $CAT variable, I just
> use cat, like:
>
> cat /proc/omnibook/ac

I did have it like that for some time but decided to go with setting it
as a variable as I started to learn more about scripting - I only have
one machine that uses omnibook (my laptop - main machine) so I decided
to code it up as it is now. For scripts that I use on all my machines
here I do not set thing as variables, for that exact problem you
mentioned.

> Anyway, you're doing great. Just keep at it. (BTW, you can do the above
> script actions in C as well, though it's _far_ more complicated.)

I have kept a "if it ain't broke" mentality when it comes to Linux, I'm
still running a 2.4 kernel and my distro is already two point releases
above what I'm running (SuSE 9.0 Pro). Everything I want to code up I
can already do in bash scripting so I really don't "need" to code it, I
want to.

There is just something about being able to create something new that is
calling me, the ability to dig deeper in to Linux modification. One of
the things that turned me on to Linux, stability aside, was the level of
modification on has with their system. I'm a very DIY person, coding
would would help me do more stuff myself, rather then waiting for a new
app/version to be released.

To everyone that posted a reply to my book post, thanks - I have a _lot_
of reading to do!

--
|  Matt Burke - Textbox Networks    |