Re: [SLUG] Difficulty level for a beginner?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 03:19:19 EST

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 02:31:53AM -0500, 404 wrote:

<snip>

> There is just something about being able to create something new that is
> calling me, the ability to dig deeper in to Linux modification. One of
> the things that turned me on to Linux, stability aside, was the level of
> modification on has with their system. I'm a very DIY person, coding
> would would help me do more stuff myself, rather then waiting for a new
> app/version to be released.

Hacking Linux itself is not for the faint of heart; it's generally much
simpler and easier to let the pros hack Linux and give you the new
versions of their software. Coders not working on Linux itself usually
scratch their own itch (I'm slowly working on a replacement for
Quicken). But since it's Open Source, you're welcome to hack Linux
itself anyway.

I agree with you about tools and coding. I've got toolboxes _full_ of
tools (not software tools; physical tools). I used to be an electrician,
which was pretty cool as building trades go. With coding, I still get to
build stuff, but I don't have to get my hands dirty and take a shower at
the end of the day to get the grime off. ;-}

Paul