Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Linux gui programming

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 17:23:11 EST

> For doing small (home/hobby type) gui base projects, which language would you
> recommend? I've been looking at Qt, GTK, and Java, and each one gets touted
> as the best.
>
> I've struggled through the learning with WN98SE, C++, wilth MFC (and it's
> miserable documentation). Getting over to Linux is now the goal. I would
> like to avoid the situation of investing the time and effort in learning only
> to discover that I picked one that was on its way out, a dog, obsolete, etc.

It depends entirely on your needs, but have you considered using the xdialog
utility? It lets you generate GUI interfaces from shell scripts and unless
you're learning a gui toolkit for your own edification, is perfect for many
smaller projects.

If you do want to use a toolkit, I have a preference for Qt versus gnome, if
only because Kdevelop and the example projects allowed me to easily build an
interface to a couple of my (simple) applications.

As to Java, there are some very good books that walk you through creating
interfaces using Netbeans or Eclipse. The benefit I'd see with Java is that it
doesn't change as rapidly as either Qt or GTK+ and of course, you can run it
just about anywhere. I was able to create Eclipse sample applications in a
couple hours. They didn't do much, but actually looked pretty good :D.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com