Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Linux gui programming

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 22:43:36 EST

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:14:43 -0500, Eric A. Hicks
<lugmail@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Oh my gosh... when will people give this up?? I'm not trying to start a
> "my language is better than yours" thread, but java USED to be slow. If
> you're talking about loading time... well, it's bytecode, what do you
> expect... but when the app finally loads, its very fast, in my opinion.
> My specialty is network programming and it's very fast.

As in all things, I was being sarcastic. Perhaps I should put that in
a .signature
or something. :)

Yes, I'll do that. perhaps: "Everything I say is at best half serious."

No worries. :)

There is also the matter that almost every scripting language
implements a byte code virtual machine, and they somehow manage to
compile and interpret the said byte code faster than the java start-up
time.

And on a 450mhz PII, a Perl/Tk app is more responsive than a Java/Swing one.

I'm pretty much language agnostic, but Java seems to be implemented very badly.
Introspection is slow; it doesn't have small-talk blocks (though you
can emulate that with anonymous classes, at the cost of space and
time).
It lacks type safety (like C), it's not purely OO (that's okay,
neither is perl).

However I think the java string implementation is pretty good.
Substrings and all that. Java has a lot of good features from other
languages, but it also has a lot of misfeatures. Still, Horses For
Courses.

Unless you have a very fat pipe, most of the time a networked program
is waiting for something to happen.
This is why one is able to write a chat server in perl and have it
scale to aboit 200 users on a 450mhz PII.

Actually, it once had 1000 connections at once, from the loopback device.
Screenshot (from my friend's VB.net (eeew) client):
http://haverdev.org/images/1000-things.JPG

I'll note right after that several of the connected jesuses pinged
out... But I think
at the time the server's ping code was very aggressive.