[SLUG] PHPauction-NG

From: Timothy Jones (slug@timjones.com)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 17:52:35 EST

Hello,

    I have a customer in Port Richey who runs 5 or 6 websites on a RR
business line in his home (1 IP, vname virtual hosting). The server is
RH9 (his insistence of course, I recommended Debian), with dual 80G
drives, mirrored via the md module. I installed the server maybe a year
ago, turned off all the insecure/unnecessary services, and since then,
this guy has had very little trouble with anything.

    Anyway, he's not a sysadmin or programmer, but he is pretty sharp in
terms of being willing and able to learn new things (HTML, JavaScript,
etc).

    He wants to add another site to this server, an auction site. From
freshmeat.net, I identified a few different open source sites, and based
on the descriptions alone, we chose PHPauction-NG. I installed a copy
of it, but didn't configure anything except the mysql connection, and
told him to poke around. What he wants me to do with it is to modify
the scripts to implement a 3-minute auction, which apparently is pretty
common for on-line jewelry sales. We haven't invested much with
PHPauction, so if you already know some other auction software, you're
welcome to sell him something else.

    My problem is, I don't have enough time to adequately support this
guy and do these modifications, and I would like to hand off this work
to one of you. He pays on-time, and isn't a newbie. If you'd like me
to set you up with him, drop me a line off-list at tim@timjones.com.

thanks,

tlj