Re: [SLUG] Extended Desktop in Linux

From: Joe Brandt (vzd1s11k@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 16:54:56 EST

Pete Theisen wrote:

> Joe Brandt wrote:
>

>>> I wonder if anyone has already got one of these working?
>>

>> I have made 2 different desktoms on 2 monitors ( well 1 monitor and
>> 1 tv ) NVidia FX 5200 with regular plug and svga.
>>

> Hi Joe!
>
> My hardware is a Hot-591P Shuttle Spacewalker, K6-2 400 196 raM with
> an "Evil Wizard" ATI Radeon 7000 64 meg. It is a tad slow, but the
> monitors are 21" and 20" tubes. I want to set this one up, and also an
> intel 810 P4 1.7 512 ram at my office with a new card which I haven't
> chosen yet. Someone at Office Depot said GeForce 5700.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

If the GeForce 5700 has an SVGA as well as regular monitor plug it is
not that difficult. I followed the readme file on the Nvidia linux
drivers download site. Make sure that you do not boot into a gui
(runlevel 3) and before you do anything back up your config file. You
will need 2 different server, device, and monitor sections as spelled
out in the readme. If you want I will recreate the configuration on my
machine and send you my config file. If you are wanting to use the
Nvidia card and the ATI, I have never tried that and you are on your own.