Re: [SLUG] Evolution and Palm

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 09:36:44 EST

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 22:12 -0600, Glenn Meyer wrote:
> I have an older Palm VIIx with Palm OS 3.5

Oh man! I always wanted one of those! Back in (dunno) 1999(?) a friend
of mine sported one of those VIIx's and subscribed to the Palm.net for
$50/mo. to check his email. I was jealous. Well, I'm over it now, so
I'll help you. :)

First, you need to figure out which serial port it is. You said it
works in Windows, so COM1=ttyS0 COM2=ttyS1 and so forth. See section
2.1
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html#PC-CONNECT-SERIAL
I don't know Redhat, so go into your /dev/ directory and check out how
it lays out the device names. Sometimes it's /dev/ttyS0 and sometimes
it's /dev/tty/ttyS0 . For serial ports, unlike for USB, I don't know
of a good way to get the device associated with each peripheral. Once
you know what number it is, create the symbolic link as per the link
above and set the permissions. Once you have these steps finished, let
me know and I'll tell you what I know about gnome-pilot syncing with
evolution.

-The Ghost of Jim Varney