Re: [SLUG] Spyware Removal Program

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 22:42:41 EST

Joe Brandt wrote:

> I realise that this is off topic .... but ...
> There are lots of PC Techs in this list, does anyone know of a CD
> based spyware removal tool. I have a small side business helping my
> friends and co-workers with their computers. The most prevalent
> problem now is spyware. I am looking for a CD based solution that I
> could clean up their systems with instead of suggesting that they buy
> a commercial version that does not work that well anyway.
>
> Second is there a PC Tech forum like this one that is quasi-local?

Try Bart's pebuilder http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I load the following free utils on all my customer's PCs...
adaware
spybot s&d
avg -or- avast

make sure they have a router/firewall. You can pick these up at CompUSA
for $9.99 after rebate if you watch the ads week to week. Even if they
aren't using the wireless features, just disable the wireless and use it
as a router/firewall. Set yourself up a highly complex remote/admin
password

then I load tightvnc so I can get into their computers from anywhere I
am. If I can save myself a trip, I like it, and my customer's like it.

After all that... I usually don't have any further problems with
spyware/virus. I've found all of the above to be a nice package.