Re: [SLUG] Spyware Removal Program

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 00:42:32 EST

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:13:51 -0500, Joe Brandt <vzd1s11k@verizon.net> wrote:
> I realise that this is off topic .... but ...
> There are lots of PC Techs in this list, does anyone know of a CD based
> spyware removal tool. I have a small side business helping my friends
> and co-workers with their computers. The most prevalent problem now is
> spyware. I am looking for a CD based solution that I could clean up
> their systems with instead of suggesting that they buy a commercial
> version that does not work that well anyway.
>
> Second is there a PC Tech forum like this one that is quasi-local?
>
> Thanks again
> Joe Brandt

Where, oh where should I begin. I wholeheartedly agree with you when
you say that the most prevalent problem today is spyware. Our
computers are not our own anymore, but that's for the politics list.

I am a pc tech at my job and I work on all three major platforms
(Windows, Mac, and Linux). Linux and Mac don't suffer so much from
spyware/adware/malware for obvious reasons, but there is plenty of
help out there for those poor unfortunate souls who have the
misfortune of running Windows. I suggest (for you) the following
site:

http://www.spychecker.com

It lists lots of freeware and shareware programs that are either
spyware scanners, spyware removers, or both. It also rates the
programs based on user feedback.

The best solutions I have run across is a combination of a number of
tools. Used alone there is no one single program that can get rid of
everything, but used in conjunction with one another and you have
yourself a pretty good handle on things.

Some of the ones that I have used (and currently use) are:

Ad-Aware 6.0se (www.lavasoftusa.com)
SpyBot Search&Destroy (www.majorgeeks.com)
SpyBlaster (forgot the link but you can Google for it)
X-cleaner Free (clears cookies/cache/search history etc. etc. Again, Google it)
XP-Antispy (shows and allows you to disable unnecessary/uknown background
                   processes)
SpywareGuard (runs in the background and prevents spyware/adware from even
                         being installed on your system)

HijackThis (my personal favorite!!!)
     *** use this program with caution! it can run from a CD, but is
shows ALL programs
     that initialize at startup, even the ones that Windows and
installed programs need in order to work. don't delete
anything unless you are sure you want to get rid of it
     because you can seriously muck up your Windows box if you do not
know what you
     are doing.

I find that a combination of anti-virus/trojan software (we use
F-Prot from Frisk) and
Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, and HijackThis takes care of a good 99% of the
crap that's out there. All are updatable on demand and I usually run
them once per week just to make sure.

Hope this helps.

Eric