Re: [SLUG] Spyware Removal Program

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 00:54:29 EST

Glenn Meyer wrote:

>I strongly recommend and use on my customer's systems as well as my wife
>and kids' machines - Spy-Bot. It isn't perfect but it works very well
>and it is free. The maintenance and development is done by one guy so
>updates are not as frequent as I like but again, it is a very good tool.
>Sometimes it won't clean everything up, but wait a week or two for an
>update and it'll get it. I have seen it take absolutely unusable
>machines and bring them back to life. To date - after about 18 months
>of use, I've not had any loss of data or system problems resulting from
>the use of the tool.
>
>http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
>I also strongly recommend moving to FireFox and Thunderbird instead of
>Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. That along with the
>"Immunization" feature of Spy-Bot and you'll be in good shape.

Beware there are a lot of people useing similar names.
SpyBot Search and Destroy is the good one.
When I was useing Windows I found it very good.
It can also check system internals-Registry problems.
The startup tool lets you easily see what starts when you turn on your
computer.
Most people have way too many resources being gobbled up by
programs you don't need running in the background all the time.
Start up tools let you see if you run OK without them by disableing
but not deleting them. If you find you really need them you can renable
them. I have found know virus on startup lists in some people's computers.

                           Richard Smoot