Re: [SLUG] Mac G3 and Yellow Dog Linux

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 09:46:13 EDT

Ha! There is no better way :-( I have a beige G3/266 which I have
running debian, and you have to get a mac os 9 app called BootX. There's
a procedure involved in getting linux booted on this type of machine.

Basically, partition using a Mac OS install disk (though if you have
multiple hard drives you can just use the installer's disk partition
utility after booting), then put your kernel file into your Mac OS
System Folder (actually, BootX has instructions on exactly where to put
it), double click the BootX application, choose the location of your
kernel, give some other arguments for the kernel command line, click the
"Linux" button, and you're off! There's some quirks with screen
resolution, sound, and a couple of other things, but hopefully this will
get you started.

Russell

Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net>