Re: [SLUG] Mac G3 and Yellow Dog Linux

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 19:35:32 EDT

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 09:49 -0400, A2L1 wrote:
> Russ,
> You have to have a yaboot partition and it is onlysomething like 800k in size.
> If you still have mac OS 9 or older installed you have to leave all the
> drivers installed but if you are going to run OS X then they arent necessary,
> plus if you have no intention of running any mac OS they they are not
> necessary either.

This is way wrong. With the beige G3, you can't really boot using much
of anything else than BootX. There is an app called quik, but I'm not
sure about its usefulness. Your best bet would be to have a 500 MB
partition for OS 8 (not 9, as that can screw things up for BootX).

> In Apple terminology you have an "old world" unit, anything from a G3 B&W up
> is considered "new world". I know that the beige will run both OSX and Linux
> so all you really have to do is select which (or both) you want to run and
> ensure that the HDD is large enough.

Not completely true. Anything beige is 'old world', anthing non-beige is
'new world' With the OS X deal, you would end up with no way to boot
into Linux. Besides, I've run OS X on beige G3's, and it's a dog. Not
worth it, really.

I run debian on mine, and there's debate about the booter/installer as
there is really no libre way to boot/install linux (not my beef, btw,
but it indicates really how a solution to this problem has not been
found)

Russell

--
Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net>