Re: [SLUG] H&R Block

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 17:53:37 EDT

Richard Smoot wrote:
> Anybody doing their tax online in Linux?

I've used Linux/Mozilla (1.4 & 1.73 if I remember correctly) with Intuit's
TurboTax online service with no major glitches. When you get near the end it
says it requires a recent version of Acrobat reader, at which point I switched
to another Linux machine with the latest reader installed. I haven't actually
submitted the e-file yet, but it seems to be working.

To get to the free online TurboTax you have to go in through the IRS website,
there is no free option if you go to Turbotax directly. I assume it's the
same with the others.

I wish the government would stop protecting the tax preparer/tax software
industry and let us e-file directly. This is such a crock!

With the TurboTax free online there is only the "interview" process, I haven't
found a way to manually choose which forms to file and fill in exactly what I
want. Anyone know a better free online service that works with Mozilla?

-- Mark Polhamus