Re: [SLUG] H&R Block

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 23:39:52 EDT

Mark Polhamus wrote:

> Richard Smoot wrote:
>
>> Anybody doing their tax online in Linux?
>

> I've used Linux/Mozilla (1.4 & 1.73 if I remember correctly) with
> Intuit's TurboTax online service with no major glitches. When you get
> near the end it says it requires a recent version of Acrobat reader,
> at which point I switched to another Linux machine with the latest
> reader installed. I haven't actually submitted the e-file yet, but it
> seems to be working.
>
> To get to the free online TurboTax you have to go in through the IRS
> website, there is no free option if you go to Turbotax directly. I
> assume it's the same with the others.
>
> I wish the government would stop protecting the tax preparer/tax
> software industry and let us e-file directly. This is such a crock!

I already had my tax figured when I went to H&R Block. If the books they
give
out are good enough preparing your mail in tax, why can't you e-file without
all this bullshit.
Opera is better than FireFox for H&R Block's website. The sidebar help does
work in it. They were not very useful. When I get to the end after
starting at the
IRS Free site as a returning user, I do not get a place to Free File.
I have downloaded the fillable PDF from IRS which I am just going to
mail in.

Richard Smoot