Re: [SLUG] Is it possible ??

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 00:06:12 EDT

On Monday 11 April 2005 15:35, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> > OK Sluggers, tell me !
> >
> > Running SuSE 9.2 64 bit. Used to have the Ace of Penguins (card
> > games) that my wife loved running and working in SuSE 8.2 (32 bit)
> > Tried to reinstall it in 9.2 but did not work properly and wife
> > made comments like, "I don't know why you have to do all of those
> > upgrade things and mess up the things I like".
> >
> > Wrote the author several months ago and he replied that he would
> > make up a new package when he found the time. That has not
> > happened.
> >
> > However, I have a 32 bit Knoppix disk that has those games on it
> > and they play as expected. (64 bit also supports 32 bit
> > applications)
> >
> > Question is: Can I somehow "lift" the package from the Knoppix
> > disk and install it into my SuSe 9.2 ??
> >
> > Please give it some thought and let me know what you think. Really
> > need to overcome those "mess up" comments.
>
> This is not guaranteed to work, but you can try:
> Run ldd against the binary you're having problems with. Copy the
> resulting library files from a working installation to a new
> directory. Set your LDLIBRARYPATH to point to the new directory. Try
> running the executable.

Kwan,
I will give that a try.
John wrote:
>kernel source from 9.2 (9.3 is the latest by the way - and WAY
>different than 9.2 - mucho better laptop support!!!). If you can get
>the source from him you can recompile easily and you might just get
>lucky enough to not have to make any changes! I don't know if lifting
>it from knoppix will work, but it's worth a try.

John,

See my earlier post to Daniel. The source was recompiled into a 64 bit
9.2 rpm. Installed, but with problems.
Robert wrote:

>have you tried installing them from the source or the binaries from the
>tar balls located here

> http://www.delorie.com/store/ace/

Yep, that's where I got if from.

>If the ace of penguins is working off the knoppix cd then I wold think
>it simply something wrong with  suse.  But again  I am not a big Suse
>person.

Robert,

The knoppix cd is 32 bit. Now 9.2 64 bit can play 32 bit apps. But if I
try to compile it would be in 64 bit form and fails ( I think). I'm
thinking that if I could compile it on a 32 bit machine and install the
rpm on my machine it would probably work.
I'll try a couple of the suggestions and see if I can lift it off
knoppix. If not I will just have to wait for the author to get around
to it. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Sluggers,
Bob S.