Re: [SLUG] Meeting tonight, Graphviz, Network stuff?

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 23:42:21 EDT

On 4/12/05, Mark Polhamus <meplists@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I've written a few Perl scripts that generate the .dot file format for various
> purposes. My favorite was a program that queried function call relationships
> in a C program. It used a static call graph database made using (cscope?) and
> showed the results (how many ways does function a call function b) as a
> graphviz graph. It had various options for limiting the scope which is
> important when generating graphs from big programs.

That's pretty cool! Do you happen to still have the perl scripts laying around?

> Lately I've been using a graph editor called yEd
> <http://www.yworks.com/products/yed/> that has a nicer user interface and
> printing. It's a Java program. Free as in beer, not speech but I believe it
> imports/exports free xml formats.

Yes, you showed me that at the meeting. It looks like a pretty
interesting program,
aside from the non-libreness of it.

Thanks for bit of talk about graphviz and this posting. I was sorta
aiming for "What do other people use it for", too, since my usage of
it is still rather primitive.
I think the application I mentioned, my "make workalike", will retain
a feature for producing graphs of file dependencies.

--
"Here's to the soldiers that march to the war
Their ugly tin hats and the long wollen draws.