[SLUG] Why use Linux

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 00:39:16 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

My ISP sends out bulletins to all of it's subscribers. Here is the
latest:

Fw: US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA05-102A -- Multiple
Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Components
Time to check for Windows updates again....

Several of these are critical.

Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Components

>                      National Cyber Alert System
>
>              Technical Cyber Security Alert TA05-102A
>
> Multiple Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Components
>
>   Original release date: April 12, 2005
>   Last revised: --
>   Source: US-CERT
>

> Systems Affected
>
>     * Microsoft Windows Systems
>
>   For a complete list of affected versions of the Windows operating
>   systems and components, refer to the Microsoft Security Bulletins.
>

> Overview
>
>   Microsoft has released a Security Bulletin Summary for April, 2005.
>   This summary includes several bulletins that address
>   vulnerabilities in various Windows applications and
>   components. Exploitation of some vulnerabilities can result in the
>   remote execution of arbitrary code by a remote attacker. Details of
>   the vulnerabilities and their impacts are provided below.
>

> I. Description
>
>   The list below provides a mapping between Microsoft's Security
>   Bulletins and the related US-CERT Vulnerability Notes. More
>   information related to the vulnerabilities is available in these
>   documents.
>
>   Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-020:
>    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (890923)
>
>     VU#774338 Microsoft Internet Explorer DHTML objects contain a
>               race condition
>
>     VU#756122 Microsoft Internet Explorer URL validation routine
>               contains a buffer overflow
>
>     VU#222050 Microsoft Internet Explorer Content Advisor contains a
>               buffer overflow
>

>   Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-02:
>    Vulnerability in Exchange Server Could Allow Remote Code
>    Execution (894549)
>
>     VU#275193 Microsoft Exchange Server contains unchecked buffer in
SMTP
>               extended verb handling
>

>   Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-022:
>    Vulnerability in MSN Messenger Could Lead to Remote Code Execution
>    (896597)
>
>     VU#633446 Microsoft MSN Messenger GIF processing
>               buffer overflow
>

>   Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-019:
>    Vulnerabilities in TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution and
Denial

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx>

>     * US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#774338 -
>       <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/774338>
>
>     * US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#756122 -
>       <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/756122>
>
>     * US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#222050 -
>       <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/222050>
>
>     * US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#275193 -
>       <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/275193>
>
>     * US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#633446 -
>       <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/633446>
>
>     * US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#233754 -
>       <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/233754>
>   _________________________________________________________________
>
>   Feedback can be directed to the authors: Will Dormann, Jeff Gennari,
>   Chad Dougherty, Ken MacInnis, Jason Rafail, Art Manion, and Jeff
>   Havrilla.
>   _________________________________________________________________
>
>    This document is available from:
>
>      <http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA05-102A.html>

>   Copyright 2005 Carnegie Mellon University.
>
>   Terms of use: <http://www.us-cert.gov/legal.html>
>
>   Revision History
>
>   April 12, 2005: Initial release

Maybe the "dual" people on this list will find this handy.
Bob S.