Re: [SLUG] Verizon DSL, IP address renewal

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 13:08:22 EDT

Donald E Haselwood wrote:

>Bill,
>
>Yes I cycled the modem, then powered up the router. I suspect that the
>sofware on the router is the reason why it hasn't been updating the IP
>automatically and since it used to work OK, Verizon probably updated
>something.
>
>I noticed that the IP addresses nowadays are radically different than the ones
>a few months ago, e.g. now 77.100.104.xx, and before 4. (got it written down
>somewhere!).

Don,

Verizon is moving customers off the Level 3 Backbone that most Fromer
GTE areas used and on to there own backbone, Hence the change in the ip.

there is talk of dsl reports about verizon in a move to limit the number
of ips used to bind the mac address say of your router or what ever gets
the outside 4.x or 7x.x ip. And if you stwich devices it can take up
to 15 minutes for verizons routers to drop that mac address before
acepting another one from your connection.

This is a supposed unconfirmed move by verizon.