Re: [SLUG] netstat & HD

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 19:35:43 EDT

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 12:13 -0400, Eben King wrote:
> The two are unrelated, but at least one of them is on topic.
>
> 1. If I see network bandwidth being used (with e.g. gkrellm), how do I find
> out who's using it? I suppose I could use netstat to get a list of all
> TCP connections and their owners and start killing those rocesses, but
> that's not feasible.
>
> 2. Is anyone willing to part with a small (1+ GB) 3.5" IDE (not SCSI, I
> checked) hard drive? I'm trying to resurrect an old computer for my
> grandmother.

Since everyone else took a stab at #2 I'll try #1. :^)

if you're talking machine to machine....

have you tried iptraf?? it's a console ap that has an option called LAN
station monitor. This will show you MAC addresses of the machines that
are sending and receiving data at the current moment.

or ntop?? browser based network monitoring tool. works great. lots and
lots of info and logs.

If you're talking about which user on the current local machine out to
the network, netstat or maybe socklist??

SOCKLIST(8)
Linux System Manual
SOCKLIST(8)

NAME
       socklist - display list of open sockets

SYNOPSIS
       socklist

DESCRIPTION
       socklist is a Perl script that gives you a list of all open
sockets, enumerating types, port, inode, uid, pid, fd and the program to
which it belongs.

HTH. I know it's 2 weeks old but I'm behind in my mail....what can I
say!!

Mike Branda Jr.