[SLUG] suse 9.3

From: Bob File (bobpat@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 20:12:20 EDT

Well I must admit that I am in whiner mode because of a bad cold, but man!, my
suse 9.3 upgrade did not go well . . . Not really an upgrade (didn't even
try, but saved /home partition and some backups to put databases and html
stuff back), but wipe the / and /boot partitions clean to start fresh. Got a
set of CDs from ztechshop.net for around 20. I did that Saturday nite and
crashed(went to bed) late. Get up sunday morning and turn the 'puter on and
it boots into twm - hehe - eh uh erm what? I didn't ask for that kind of
torture I'm pretty darn sure; especially since it took 2 tries at getting kdm
and kde desktop to start from boot. Oh well - I knew how to recover from
such, but that could be a daunting task for others that might not know that
there was something there besides a checkerboard. Especially some one
noob-ish. sheesh
So recover from that and it looks nice and there are some much improved apps,
although lord help me when I go to install grass (I bet); I'll leave that
until I am feeling better.
So things look pretty good and I go to burn an iso file onto a CD and the
systems grinds to a halt. wow ... did I mess up the recording part of my CD
by burning a bunch of CD's before repartitioning? hmmm .... cdrecord -scanbus
returns :
        0,0,0 0) 'MSI ' 'CD-RW MS-8348 ' '120D' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0 1) *
        0,2,0 2) *
        0,3,0 3) *
        0,4,0 4) *
        0,5,0 5) *
        0,6,0 6) *
        0,7,0 7) *
so it sees the drive but refuses to use it - just stops.
So I boot puppy linux and try a burn there. Puppy Linux is fairly small, comes
on a bootable CD and loads into available ram so that you can use you CD
burner for whatever incuding save session info to back to the CD .
I fire up it's CD burning program - Gcombust I believe it's called and tell it
to use scsi device 0,0,0 and to put an iso image onto a CD from the
mounted /home partition. It works fine and the freshly roasted CD boots just
fine, soooo... I am pretty sure that the hardware is OK.
I haven't figured out what is setup wrong , but hopefully someone here might
toss me a clue on this part. This time around adding an ftp or http site to
the yast installation source list works fine. I could not find PHP5 on the
CD's, but they were in the list on the ftp site and installed OK once I
stopped apache and let it erase mod-PHP4. Using Yast to install things , plus
modify config.

I didn't expect the third party CD's to show up so fast, or the ftp file
either. Novell must have decided to put 'em up for grabs right away this
time. Maybe I should start over with an ftp install, dunno. Now that I have
dsl it would certainly be a possibility.
Well sorry to whine on for so long, but wanted to opine here since I asked for
advice earlier on this very subject and now have taken the plunge into the
9.3 fog . . .
The 2 problems I have run into could be real showstoppers for some, so beware.