Re: [SLUG] ifconfig not gettting set

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 23:04:52 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> Folks,
> I have asked about this before, and have poked and poked at it, what is
> at issue is that the eth0 port is not getting set up, the machine is a toshiba
> laptop, I think that the eth0 parameters are being sent to it either too soon
> (it is a pcmcia nic card) or it is getting partially setup but again possibly
> too soon.
>
> My fix has been to log in and root after the machine has finished booting
> do a ifdown eth0 and then do a ifup eth0.
>
> If I just fo a ifup eth0 it tells me that the device is already configured.
>
> When I watch the startup screen go by I see it attempt to configure eth0
> it fails and defers it then it does so again, it detects the card speed (10
> mb) but does not appear to load in the ip, mask, gw etc.
>
> I am trying to figure out where to go in and try make it do that a bit later.
> I can see possible places in the rc.d files, but even though I poke at the
> run sequences I still can not get the thing to load in the proper configur-
> ation beyond the fact that the card is there, but just needs to be pulled
> down and then up.

You sound like you've hit on the head and it's very likely a timing
issue. Check your timing belt and spark plug wires to make sure that...
oh sorry, wrong manual :D

As you've gathered, the /etc/rc.d directory contains the run levels. The
files in ./rc1.d, ./rc3.d and ./rc5.d usually contain symlinks to
/etc/rc.d/init.d. The symlinks are in the form S##scriptname for
startup scripts and K##scriptname for shutdown (kill) scripts. The
number after the first letter indicate in which order, from 00 to 99,
the script will execute.

Normally, to change the order of execution you'd just change the number
to something higher. You can either manually rename the link or, if
you're using a distribution that supports chkconfig, you can edit the
script in /etc/rc.d/init.d and modify the chkconfig comments. They're in
the form (from the chkconfig manpage):

# chkconfig: 2345 20 80

This says that the random script should be started in levels 2, 3, 4,
and 5, that its start priority should be 20, and that its stop priority
should be 80.

If you edit the start priority to something higher then turn the service
on and off it will change the symlink. I.e., once you have changed the
line to:

# chkconfig: 2345 40 80

Run:

[root@ningauble] chkconfig network off
[root@ningauble] chkconfig network on

If you do an 'ls' in /etc/rc.d/c3.d/ you should see the symlink has been
updated.

Another option may be to add another script that does nothing but pause
for a few seconds in order to give the card time to initialize before
configuring the network. Or you can just add it to the end of the pcmcia
startup script...