[SLUG] ifconfig not gettting set

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 14:28:19 EDT

Folks,
I have asked about this before, and have poked and poked at it, what is
at issue is that the eth0 port is not getting set up, the machine is a toshiba
laptop, I think that the eth0 parameters are being sent to it either too soon
(it is a pcmcia nic card) or it is getting partially setup but again possibly
too soon.

My fix has been to log in and root after the machine has finished booting
do a ifdown eth0 and then do a ifup eth0.

If I just fo a ifup eth0 it tells me that the device is already configured.

When I watch the startup screen go by I see it attempt to configure eth0
it fails and defers it then it does so again, it detects the card speed (10
mb) but does not appear to load in the ip, mask, gw etc.

I am trying to figure out where to go in and try make it do that a bit later.
I can see possible places in the rc.d files, but even though I poke at the
run sequences I still can not get the thing to load in the proper configur-
ation beyond the fact that the card is there, but just needs to be pulled
down and then up.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;