Re: [SLUG] power issues on laptop

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 16:10:02 EDT

The BIOS in the Armada has known issues that most likely have never been fixed (last bios update is 2002). Compaq had customized some items in windows to allow for those issues and most likely you are encountering these bios issues.

I would turn off power management, personally. However, the newer kernels and powersave packages may support workarounds for the bios shortcomings. I use my M700 with a docking station and don't need power management, but have left the default settings with SUSE LINUX 9.3 pro with no problems (ACPI is on, but it's not regulating power since I'm on A/C constantly). So far...no problems.

JP